Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Rediscovery...

Things fascinate me…I guess that is fairly obvious! A lot of things fascinate me, often times, things that seldom seem fascinating. Yes, life can be crazy that way. It may seem weird, it may seem ludicrous, but that’s how it is… fascination is a funny thing!

Life works in funny ways… just when you get comfortable with certain notions, thoughts and beliefs; you are forced to rethink it all. An epiphany if you please!
I’ve had a few of these over the last couple of years. It is seldom an easy task to rethink your entire belief system, but it must be done. Perhaps it is all an essential part of the growing up process.

One of these had me questioning my understanding of certain things, the way I perceive them. Dharavi was among them.

Dharavi is a fascinating place…I learnt that in the last few visits there.

I have been going to the area since I was a child, but my association with it was restricted to the leather stores. That, I presumed, was the real Dharavi; not the people and lives. Somehow, even though I knew otherwise, I considered the area, its people and their lives different from the rest of Mumbai city. Of that I am very guilty.

It took a while, and it took some effort, but I made the change. I ventured out of the preconceived notion I had of the place and the reality baffled me. As scary as the process was, the experience was enlightening beyond expectations. The people are friendly and nice, just like elsewhere in the city. There are schools, places of business, dispensaries, just like elsewhere in the city. There is life, hope and laughter, just like elsewhere in the city. Of this I am proud.

I don’t doubt even for a second that there are countless other people out there who share my former belief of Dharavi. Most of them unfortunately haven’t had the opportunity I did, to rethink and create a new belief of the place.

I urge you to give it a try. Dharavi is a part of Mumbai, an integral part. It resonates with all things typically-Mumbai. You will be amazed by just how much it is like our fascinating city. Explore it beyond what you already know...

Rediscover Dharavi.

3 comments:

  1. Read Kalpana Sharma's Rediscovering Dharavi. If you haven't already.

    Fascinating read. Fascination!! There you go again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dhaaaaaraaaaaveeeeeee

    like all of mumbai.........u hate it and love it !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pigsoul - I have been on the lookout for the book. I have been anticipating the fascinating read!!

    Of Monotony... - I guess impressions, and the human mind for that matter, are complicated confused entities that just can't pick a side!

    ReplyDelete