Monday, April 20, 2009

The Black Fort aka Kala Quilla


I love learning about new things. It doesn’t matter what or when or how, I love learning more just the same. Sometimes it may be online using the internet, at others it could be thanks to books, or often through documentaries and other educative videos.

My latest discovering streak led me to the Kala Quilla in Dharavi. A Portuguese fort built in 1737; Kala Quilla is hidden in the lanes of the area.

One may almost miss the black stone wall of the fort even if consciously looking for it. You aren’t to blame. It is easy to overlook the wall, firstly because it isn’t too high and secondly, but more importantly, because it is surrounded by houses.

It has a grand history, just like every other monument in the country does. But that is immaterial when you are faced with the stark reality of a depleting, deteriorating piece of history.

I am most appalled by the disregard for the upkeep and maintenance of these monuments. It shocked me and angered me to see the random scribbling across the wall of the Kala Quilla. I wonder, what need does one have to profess his love for another across the walls of a monument? What instigates a person to behave in such an immature manner?

I am not a history buff. It never did anything more than bore me. For whatever reason, I never seemed to connect with it, or those great heroes of the years gone by about whom we studied. This however didn’t stop me from me being intrigued time and again by someone or something. And this definitely does not mean that I am not infuriated when I see the disregard shown for historical monuments in India.

Why is the preservation of our ‘culture’ so important and not that of our history which goes back centuries? Culture evolves with it, this holds true no matter which country you belong to. History, however, will never change. Shouldn’t this one basic fundamental fact make it more cherished?

Which brings me back to the Quilla. Sure it seems to be a shadow of its former grand self, but five minutes spent there and you will be amazed. The excitement of the locals at discovering your interest in the Quilla is an experience beyond all expectations. Each will have a piece of history to share with you, even little kids who have obviously had this information passed on to them.

You may not get much out of the need to unravel Kala Quilla’s history immediately, but rest assured you will discover more than you expect. Definitely visit it because the experience is one that you will remember for a very long time, even if it just because of the enthusiasm of the locals.

I am not a history buff, but I love learning about new things. Dharavi’s Kala Quilla has intrigued me...

Let the history lesson begin...

4 comments:

  1. It is so funny that many keep thinking of Bombay as a relatively young city. However, amongst the hustle and bustle, we have these wonderful monuments that keep reminding us of its rich history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. And its so sad to see how they are relegated to the background. History.. we have so much history - why do we keep forgetting that as time passes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately we debate and we wonder..but nothing changes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. let me cheer you all up. The Fort Hill Garden at Sion is very well maintained. I have heard that there is a tunnel there that leads all the way to Pune and it had been used by Chatrapati Shivaji. :) Don't know the authenticity of this but the hill remains there till today. This is very close to the SIES College of Commerce, Sion East. Check it out, history buff or not.

    ReplyDelete